During the Texas Recreation and Park Society’s (TRAPS) 2021 state conference, Dow Park, (located inside Deer Park’s city limits) was honored with the title of Lone Star Legacy Park. A park that is given the designation of “Lone Star Legacy Park” is one that has achieved a prominent position in both the surrounding community and the state of Texas. These parks have withstood the test of time and have acquired a legendary status among people who have traveled to them, enjoyed themselves there, and taken a break there. One of the highest accolades that a park can receive is to be given the title of Lone Star Legacy, which was created specifically for this purpose.
The development of Dow Park was motivated in part by an interest in preserving the area’s rich history. The City Council of Deer Park had a vision of a space that would be perfect for the residents of the city to use, and they collaborated with other local organizations to make the park a reality.
The current location of Dow Park was selected in large part owing to the historical value of the area. The park’s property was recognized as being a portion of the Dr. George Patrick Survey A-624, and twenty acres of the park were a part of the original acreage that Patrick purchased in the early 1800s. It was at his home that the Texan army tented out before the Battle of San Jacinto; it was also in his home that Texas cabinet sessions were held; and it was in his home that the treaty agreements that secured Texas’ independence from Mexico were drafted.
The initial twenty acres of the park were presented to the community as a gift in the year 1959 by the local Petal Pushers, who worked in conjunction with the Deer Park Jaycees to establish a Botanical Garden. In the 1970s, with the assistance of President Richard Nixon’s Legacy of Parks program, the City of Deer Park was able to purchase the remaining twenty acres of land in the park.
The City of Deer Park, with assistance from C.M. Dow, made the initial purchase of two outlots in 1959 in order to establish the largest and most central park in the neighborhood. The initial land lots that made up the park’s initial acreage were each twenty acres in size. In February of 1970, a third piece was acquired, which brought the total amount of land devoted to the future park to a total of 20 acres. In April of 1973, the last parcel of land, which consisted of ten acres, was purchased. The current footprint of the park, which is 40 acres, is made up of the four original lots.
The initial features of Dow Park consisted of a community garden, various trails, a community garden pavilion, a gazebo, and playground equipment. An area for motor bikes was also added.
The expansive Dow Park is a community green space that may be found tucked away in the middle of a working class neighborhood. As a result of the growth of the surrounding community in conjunction with the expansion of industry along the Houston Ship Channel, Dow Park eventually became the location of Deer Park City Hall, the Deer Park Community Center, the Pony Baseball Field, the DPFSC Soccer Fields, the Earl Dunn Gym, and the Dow Park Pool. Dow Park has been of service to the community of Deer Park in many different ways.
As of the year 2020, Dow Park presently features a community pool, four tennis courts, two outdoor racquetball courts, a splash park, three pavilions, a gazebo, three toilet facilities, and a rose garden. Additionally, the park is home to a racquetball court and two outside tennis courts. The Petal Pushers, who were instrumental in the park’s inception, remain committed to ensuring that Dow Park is maintained and further developed.
Deer Park Carpet Cleaning Pros